A PCBU “must ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that all asbestos or ACM at the workplace is identified by a competent person or assume its presence” also “must, where asbestos has been identified at the workplace, ensure an asbestos management plan is prepared, maintained and reviewed. It must be accessible to workers, their health and safety representatives and other persons”. These are straight from the Asbestos Regulations and Codes of Practice.
So why are so many workplace or their associated PCBU (Person with control of a business or undertaking) not doing it?
I’ve heard so many excuses or wrong beliefs such as –
- We only need to do it when we sell the building.
- We’ve owned the building from new so we know there’s no asbestos here.
- I built the building so I know there is no asbestos.
- I didn’t know.
- There’s none here as we don’t have an asbestos roof.
- It’s a Charity (or volunteer) organisation.
- I know where it is so I don’t need a report.
- What is asbestos?
- We only do the maintenance on the building.
- I just need a certificate.
- I have an old Asbestos Register which will do.
- Don’t want it to delay sale of the building.
Or my favourite from a large builder that I was told last year-
- The time cost in the delay getting it done is greater than the fine even if we are caught!
Why aren’t companies keeping up with the Asbestos requirements? Cost? Don’t have the time/resources to get it done? Another reason?
I would be happy for any feedback on the real reason organisations are not getting them done. Look forward to hearing from you.
It’s 2018 and these laws have been in place since the late 1980s in some states and in Qld only since 2000 (18 years) and I’m still hearing these excuses everyday obviously the penalties aren’t harsh enough or enforcement not rigorous enough? Why aren’t workplaces keeping up with the Asbestos requirements? Cost? Don’t have the time/resources to get it done? Not a priority? Another reason ?
I would be happy for any feedback on the real reasons workplaces are not keeping up or getting Asbestos Management Plans and Registers done . Look forward to hearing from you.